November 16, 2004

I work hard for my money

Funny how quickly things can turn around. I went from having no job prospects to having too many that I didn't know what to do. Currently I still do my housekeeping job, now I also work at a bar collecting glasses and some days I work with an appliance delivery company and lastly I'm now being offered the night manager position at the hostel I'm staying at. Seems I may have more money when I escape Cairns after all.

The past week I've spent most of my free time chatting and partying with... (if you guessed a German girl, then give yourself a gold star and cookie). I seriously don't know what it is with me and German girls, but as soon as I hear that accent from across the room I drop everything and introduce myself. This ones a bit different. I WAS going to go for her when I originally thought she was 23 or 24, but then found out she's 32. I only work well with the young naive women. The older and wiser ones see through me too quickly. It's all good though. She's a blast to go drinking with and just having conversations. She's out here taking her rescue diving course so she can become a dive instructor. She claims her English isn't very good (she's a liar, and yes her pants are on fire) and got me to explain half of the rescue diving manual to her. At this point I could probably become a rescue diver too. In return she picked up where my German lessons last left off and I have had a chance to learn some new phrases. Our current deal that we have going is that as long as I cook her supper then she'll buy me drinks for the night. Needless to say I break out my chefs hat every night for her and every night I get passed off as a master chef. Not only by her, but by most regulars in the hostel as well. If I'm not careful, they may put me to work in the kitchen too.

The bar job is a lot of fun. It's something new so it keeps my attention and isn't as mindless and boring yet. In fact, I can't believe I never tried for a job like this earlier. Drinking + Girls = Girls Gone Wild Videos. Well there isn't a video out of our bar yet, but I'm sure I could make one. On my last shift this one girl couldn't find the bathroom and asked me if I could be bothered to show her where it is. I happily obliged and she took my hand as I safely pushed our way through a sea of people and arrived at the bathroom door. She was so overjoyed that she gave me a nice kiss on the lips. I love cute drunk girls. Even working down by the dance floor is becoming a favourite spot of mine. Girls always want to dance with the glass collectors for some reason, and you usually get to girls, one in front and the other behind you. All the while I'm hold my tray full of glasses above my head while trying not to drop it on anyone. I almost look forward to my next shift just to see what will happen next.

The other night we went out to an Irish pub called Shenanigans for their 2 for 1 drinks. At some point one of the guys we were out with says I look like Jack Osborne (it's not the first time I've been told that) but after that he kept introducing me as Jack to everyone and was bringing over random girls just so they could meet Jack Osborne. It was a riot and we all had a bang up time. One of the girls at reception refuses to call me by my real name and instead calls me Jack.

Went out to a popular backpacker bar called the Woolshed. Actually I've been there many times, but it's always fun to meet new people there. While I was there a girl recognized me and it took me awhile to figure out who she was. It was a Danish girl named Louise who I had met on the way up from Hervey Bay. She stopped in Bingara to do fruit picking and only now has got up north. We had a fun time talking about what we had done in the past month until this guy (that she just met that night) came over and thought I was trying to pick up 'his girl'. He kept trying to pull her away from me right in the middle of when we were talking. Thankfully Louise was smart enough to tell him to bugger off for a few moments while we chatted. I got death stares from that guy the rest of the night. I could have taken him though.

0 comments: