August 30, 2004

Upside down laziness

Sunday was pretty much a mirror image of how my Sundays back home are.... lazy. Yup, it was a lazy Sunday. I guess I can't say that I didn't do anything though. My brother, One of his residence mates and I went shopping and picked up some of the essentials. My essentials being Tim Tams, probably the best biscuit/cookie I've ever had the pleasure of consuming. They should put warnings on the boxes to these things. Anything that warns people of the addiction that they are about to experience. I'm almost all out and feel that I have to take the tram back to the store to buy more. I fear my trip has been financially hindered by my Tim Tam addiction. Beaten by a cookie, how degrading. The next step will be to try and smuggle some back into Canada. That could prove troubling considering how much trouble it was just trying to get into the states without smuggling anything in.

I was lucky enough to experience Nigel's cooking last night. This Kiwi can cook! (I don't believe I've mentioned before that he is from New Zealand.) Put him up against an iron chef, and make the theme ingredient lamb and you got yourself a battle. He cooked up a feast just for 3 of us. I was put to shame. I thought I knew my way around a range, but he could have whipped up a meal fit for royalty before I could boil a pot of water. I was surprised enough at the fact that he even cooked for me. I'm no sure I have too many friends who would cook my little brother, or even my older brother just out of the kindness of their hearts. Only about 30 seconds ago I was informed that he is cooking supper for us once again. I'm starting to feel like a real big mooch at this point.

Today was laundry day. It was boring... plus it rained pretty heavily which only reinforced my thoughts of how Melbourne is a lot like Vancouver. I'm thinking I may have to cut loose and make my way to a hostel in the city within the next 2 days. I figure staying with my brother for a week is good enough and it's time for me to get on my adventurous ways. I seem to have gotten too comfortable too quickly around here. I get along with most everyone in the residence. In fact, last night the cute Norwegian girl made me watch Olympic handball with her and taught me as the game went along. Seems she played handball for 10 years and knows the game inside and out. We then got into some good conversation about education systems in other countries and how they compare to our own. I'm quite intimidated by her now. She's so smart and passes it off as nothing. I'm afraid I'm going to say something stupid and I'll no longer be worthy of chatting with her. I do take pride in the fact that she said I was one of the few people that was actually able to pronounce her name correctly. Too bad I can't spell it. It sounds like Ing-Vale. That is of course how you would say it, not spell it. Seems most people call her Ingrid because they can't remember her real name. What a trooper.

Hopefully I'll sleep easier tonight.... well as easy as someone sleeping on the floor of a shoebox can be.

0 comments: