On the move
The other night my brother went out to some artsy-fartsy movie that I wouldn't enjoy so I decided I'd be a bum and lay around the rez building for the evening. My bro's next door neighbour, Derek, came by and asked if I wanted to go to the pub with him and some other folks from the building and possibly some other rez buildings. I'm not one to turn down an invite so I jumped on the chance and went to the pub and had a great time. I got to meet a few other folks from different buildings and some more Canadians (woohoo). My night ended up turning out okay after all and I suppose I can't write off that day as a total crap shoot.
Friday was interesting. I spent my last day with my bro and in the evening, after we were done with his campus radio show, I grabbed my bag and headed off again into the great unknown. I had already done some research on which hostel I figured I'd want to stay in so I was a bit ahead of the game in my planning for once. I made my way up to Hotel Bakpak and got myself settled. They have a bar in the basement so I quickly made my way down. In the elevator I met an Irishmen named Ray who took me around and introduced me to his crew that he's been hanging with. We played about 10 games of pool and I wasn't playing too horribly until the last 2 games. Soon afterwards another bloke who was watching us play pool started to talk to me. I would end up spending the rest of my night chatting with him. He's a Kiwi named Steve and is a damn funny guy. I continued to get more lucky as I met, amazingly, another Calgarian. Her name's Michelle and we spent most of our time trying to figure out if we both knew any of the same people. It was a long shot, but still provided for some fun conversation.
I was lucky again to get a room by myself and have a good quiet sleep in an actual bed! No more sleeping on the floor for me. This morning I crossed the street and went over to the Queen Victoria Market. It's quite the bustling market. You got everything from fresh Produce and meats, to T-shirts, pants, bags and other stuff. It's all pretty well priced as well. I saw the didgeridoo I want! Too bad it would put me back $150 and then I'd have to carry it wherever I go. When I come back to Melbourne before I go home I'll make sure to get one, a boomerang and hopefully an Australian flag that I can put on the wall of my room when I get back. So many things that I want, and so many things to get for others, but not enough room in my bag, or I don't feel like trucking it across the country. I'll have to figure something out. Maybe buy it and mail some of it home. That will cost more money...... damn, I need a job.
0 comments:
Post a Comment