September 13, 2004

mmmmm, Danish

Last night Sandy invited me out to the bar that's in the basement of the hostel that I'm now staying in. It was gonna be a goodbye thing for him since he's going home on Tuesday. Anything with drinking is always a big 'yes' in my book. So I got to the bar about 10 minutes before I was set to meet him and help myself to a drink. I'm patiently waiting at the bar when guess who happens to recognize me and come over for a chat? Gidda and Medda, the cute danish girls from my bus trip up here. Sandy invited them out as well and that works out well in my favour. Sandy was late so I had plenty of time to get talking with the girls. I put most of my efforts into Gidda and it paid off. She's the sweetest, cutest girl I've had the pleasure of courting in quite some time. The conversation was flawless. No silent pauses.... at all. That's kind of a first. We both did our part to keep up the conversation and when one person ends the other starts up something new. I had already learned from the bus ride out here that she has good musical taste, so I tested her on other things. She has excellent taste in movies and TV. She hates reality shows which earns her brownie points. The real test in the TV sector was when I enquired about 24. Success! She watches it and loves Keifer Sutherland. Little things like that continued for 3 hours of us seeming to like all the same things. I thought I had blown it at one point during our music topic when we were talking about bands from our home country and she mentions Avril Lavigne and I say I don't like her music. The look in Gidda's face was what I thought was one of surprise and hurt. I thought I offended her when she tells me she's happy to have met a Canadian who doesn't like her crap. It was a close call and I really felt myself sink in my chair when I thought I hit a nerve. Glad I was wrong about reading that facial expression. The music topic was pretty much endless and even found both of us at the jukebox looking at all the songs and saying 'yay' or 'nay' to what was in there. I would say only about 1 in 10 did we disagree on. I now have the names of some Danish groups that I'm supposed to check out when I get a chance as well.

The evening found us getting closer and closer. I saw where it was going pretty quick and remembered what happened last time I got close to someone who I would probably never see again. It got pretty good during our language lesson she was giving me. I asked her to teach me more Danish and everything she told me was things like "You have beautiful eyes" and other compliments of that nature. The last one she taught me and I bungled up pretty bad and don't remember now (damn) was "I would like to kiss you". So when she has me repeating it back to her she says "yes". Well that's the invitation I was looking for. If anything, she was probably pretty frustrated that I hadn't moved in sooner in the evening to kiss her. So I got my lip action from the Danish now. We were pretty close the rest of the night until we all packed it in. I can only hope that the rest of my trip proves to be this fruitful or better.

Today was much more calm. I went to darling harbour and explored a bit. Got some information on taking a water taxi tour around the Opera house and the Bridge. I think I'll do that sometime within the next few days. I also have to continue my search for a camera battery charger. I've hit up a few stores and 2 of them sell it but are both currently out of stock (of course) and I was told to check back later in the week. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday will be a day to do that.

The hostel I'm staying out now is pretty posh and I feel out of place. It's more like a hotel with dorm rooms. I have met my second Calgarian. A girl in my room who is on the bunk below me hails from the snowy city. She's not as fun as the last Calgary girl I met. Nice person, just not very outgoing and kind of boring, so I don't spend time talking with her much.

I'm gonna call up my uncle tomorrow or Thursday and hope to get together with him at some point and catch up on everything that's happened since I last saw him, and see what he's up to these days. Maybe I'll even get a chance to see my cousins and their baby that I haven't met yet. My brother tells me that she's a bit of a spoiled baby. Oi.

0 comments: