January 26, 2005

We went through this already...

Happy Australia Day!

Australia day is pretty much the same thing as Canada day. A day off from work to drink yourself stupid and watch pretty fireworks. Now this would be pretty special if it weren't for the fact that this is everyday life for Ozzies... in some cases the fireworks are an everyday event as well. So it's business as usual in the southern hemisphere.

The last few days have been Deja Vu fueled. Lets see if I can recap in my hungover state.

So the other day when I'm in the hostel kitchen making my supper I catch a glimpse of this crazy beautiful girl. I do a double take because I thought I had seen her before and not in Melbourne. I continue my cooking ways until she approaches me and says what I was thinking, "I know you from somewhere." Well, seems I wasn't going nuts. Turns out we were both staying at the same hostel in Cairns for the same amount of time. We just never ever talked to each other. So Amy and I sat down and had a quick conversation over supper about what we did in Cairns and how it was so weird that we never felt the need to talk to each other for a whole two months of living in the same complex.

After we were done eating and cleaning up she asks me if I would like to join her and her friend in the bar for a few drinks. I'm not stupid, I'd never say no to an invitation like that. The rest of the evening was filled with non-stop conversation. Not once did we have a silent pause. Not only that, but we seem to like all the same stuff, our birthdays are exactly a month apart (well she's actually a year and a month older then me) Oct 28 vs Nov 28. It was just too funny how we could even finish each others sentences sometimes. We engaged in a few games of pool and had an over all terrific time with each other. If it weren't for the fact that she told me that she's swearing off boys for the next little bit I would've kissed her, cause things were getting that close. Even better news is she's going to be moving into St. Kilda, the exact area where Adam and I are going to be moving into and she's sticking around Melbourne for 3 months. She's even hinting at the idea of her and I travelling together for a bit because her friend, Tanya, goes back home in 3 months and she doesn't want to be alone. I'm hoping that this is finally going to be my silver lining out of the last month of women having no interest in me.

So, Ozzy Day! Actually, not much happened apart from a lot of drinking in Adams backyard. They had an inflatable pool set up so we could all get drunk in the pool for awhile. Good fun was had by all. Adam disappeared for a bit and his lady friend who he fancies (and has shagged) Anthea, stuck around with me and kept me company. There were some points where she was getting a smidgen too friendly with me which I was uncomfortable with due to the fact that I know Adam is really into her. Don't get me wrong, Anthea is an amazing woman. She's gorgeous, funny and studied that same thing that I did in college, so we naturally have a lot in common, but I had to keep changing subjects, chairs, anything to keep Anthea from getting too close and try to resume anything with me in case Adam were to return at any minute.

After 5 hours of hard drinking I started to feel it and Adam and I both had to make a visit to the alley way and empty out the bad mojo. When I returned I had 3 ozzy girls looking after me who kept bringing me water and talking to me. One girl said she thought it was so funny that even in my drunken state I was still polite. Of course I was the hit with most of the women seemings as how everyone at the party was either English or Australian and me being the only Canadian made me ripe for the picking. Turns out a lot of people had already heard about me through Adam telling his stories of adventures travelling north. I was told that I was a legend for sticking it out so long with Adam.

That's about it. So to Recap:

-Met Amy, an English girl, whom is super fantastic.

-Got Drunk on Oz day

-Had to fight off another pretty English girl who is off limits to me.

wow, what a week.

0 comments: